Horse, a four-legged animal, is visually attractive, physically proactive, and perfect for keeping as a pet animal. We love to ride on a horse, roam and spend time with “him.” I am saying the horse as “him” because he is nothing less than a human friend. As you are keeping horses or pony at your stable, you should know how to maintain their health well. It’s not only for them but also for you who are fostering.
You don’t need to care about the “one size fits for all” technique. It would be best if you stay updated on horse care and management system. Contact your veterinarian, trainer, farrier, etc. personnel when you are about to introduce new things in your horse care system. However, you should follow and maintain some essential things to keep the horse fit and happy.
What is the cost of caring a horse?
There are some basic needs of horse-like we humans do. Food, shelter, treatment, training, and exercises, etc. If you wish to buy a horse, you should know there is a minimal cost to raise a horse. These are the criteria you need to spend money on a horse:
· Food: The maximum portion of the total sum of money you need to pay on is the food items. On average, a horse weighs almost 1100 pounds (approx. 500kg). You need to know that you should provide hay and grains to your horse every day. This amount of food is almost 1.5-3% of the horse weight. According to many horse owners, you will require 1000 bucks every year to buy food for each horse. Among these $1000, you can give hay, liquid, mineral supplements,
· Vets and Farriers: It’s a part of regular horse maintenance, and proper care.you may need to spend around $400-$600 every year to take care of the pony. Vet cost includes quality check-ups, vaccinations, and required tests, 3-4 annual de-worming, and some unwanted or less severe injuries. If there are any emergencies, you will need more money. The certified and experienced farrier may cost $300-$350. He will do trimming and shoeing of the horse.
· Overall maintenance: Keeping your horse on your property requires a minimal amount of costs. The support of barn, stable, shelter, fencing, transportation, etc. cover with this care cost. You can keep in mind that you are going to spend around $600+ for the next year.
· Boarding cost: More expenses is fixed for boarding of the horse. This happens when you want to keep your pet on other’s property. It will cost more than keeping him in your place. The only shelter in other’s areas will take $1000 or more per year. You may require to pay for food, water, and other facilities.
Would you stop yourself now after thinking about the expanses???
If the answer is no, then go for the next passages of this essential horse care list. Here are some relevant questions about the best 20 critical tips in basic horse care list:
20 Best Ultimate Guide and Essential Tips of Basic Horse Care List
· Do horses need daily care?
· Answer: Think about yourself. As you are a human, you need some regular things for caring for yourself. Food, dress, shelter, transport and many more. It would help if you kept things clean, sterilized and prepared for every moment. Similarly, if you want to reduce the expenses on horse care, keep your horse healthy and fit, there’s no alternative to daily care. Some examples of regular care are cleaning the place, fencing, preparing food etc.
· What are the basic needs of a horse?
· Answer: The essential needs of a horse are less in number. A horse or pony requires water, food, companionship, shelter, supplements, training, etc.
· What do you call a person that takes care of horses?
· Answer: This person is known for many words. Hostler, ostler, cavalier, etc. are common names of the person who takes care of the horses.
To keep your horse active, soulful and in good physical shape, you should maintain the basic horse care list. You should-
· Check the conditions of horses’ minimum twice a day
· Ensure the hygiene and cleanliness of the grazing
· Keep the grazing out of any danger or poisonous plants
· Ensure that the place of the horse is neat and clean
· Manage 24/7 fresh water for your horses
· Arrange feed rightly according to horses’ types and workloads
· Contact the vet and farrier at regular terms
· Stay updated with vaccinations and also worming
· Use sterilized equipment for horse caring
Here are some essential points of basic horse care for beginners:
Tools you can use:
· Braiding & Mane.
· Tamers & Hoods.
· Mitts & Sponges.
· Combs & Brushes.
· Shampoo & Conditioners.
· Bags & Braids.
· Hoof Care.
Feeding or food-management for a horse is the first thing you should think.
· Give food based on horse size, weight, and workload
· Don’t compromise the quality of feed
· Arrange 24/7 access to clean, fresh water
· Don’t allow the horse to have concentrates before or after exercise (1 hour)
· Keep the diet balanced
· Don’t be haste to make any changes to the food
· Have the same feeding routine for your pony
· Give the correct amount of feed to the horse
You are already known that a horse requires a 1.5-3% feed of their body weight. These are the types of food and supplement you should include:
- Roughage/Forage/Fibre – Grass, hay, haylage, etc. are the significant portions of a horse’s feed. You should try to give the best quality of roughage depending on your financial condition. Low-quality hays contain dust, including poisonous plants. These hays can make your horse weaker and tend not to perform anything. Don’t give silage to the horse. Silage is good for cows but not for the horses.
- Hard Feed/Concentrates – Cereals, grains etc. come as “pony nuts”. These are available in processed forms. However, hard feeds are not recommended for every horse.
- Supplements – Similar to humans, horses need vitamin and mineral supplements to fulfill their diet. Many horse owners keep garlic and apple cider vinegar away to maintain horse health. Old or most active horses require more supplements such as a joint supplement. You vet will suggest which one is needed.
- Succulents – Fruits and vegetables are recognized as succulents for a pony. Carrots, apples, etc. are popular succulents. You don’t need to give them regularly. But don’t forget to slice these foods.
- Treats – These are entirely optional. You can either give them for betterment or go with the regular feeding routine. I suggest you purchase organic foods containing low sugar. Many treats can have a high amount of sugar, additives. But they are harmful to the health of the animal.
As the horse is a living being, he must require fresh, clean water for drinking. A horse drinks lots of water in the hot seasons. You should arrange adequate water facilities in the stable and the pasture. Few factors change the amount of water a horse can consume:
· Health (weight)
An average horse consumes 20-50 liters of water every day. You must be careful, especially when it is winter and too hot summer. Dry hay and other dry feed will put an impact on the horse’s health. Dehydration, colic, etc. appear when horse drinks unhygienic water.
Note these carefully:
· Arrange proper tools to store clean water. Tubs, buckets, drums, etc. are useful in this purpose.
· Automatic watering system can be a good way to fulfill the thirst of water. Teach the horse how to drink from an automatic source of water.
· In the cold seasons, arrange an alternative source of water which will stay drinkable instead of just freezing.
· Provide more waters in the summers. Dense temperature can increase the sweat, dehydration, and requirement of ample water.
· It would be best if you were more careful of the pregnant mare. Give 50-70% more water to a pregnant or lactating mare for milk production.
· Before the exercise, allow the horse to drink water properly. It helps the animal to stay fit for a long time.
· Horses look for water after heavy workload or running. It would help if you fill the reservoir with water.
· Maintain the hygiene of the pasture or stable. Clean the area every day.
As your horse is consuming water every day, you must ensure that there are no algae or fungal activities in the water or water pots. Check the water quality and amount of water regularly. If the water reservoir is low in the water, fill it with fresh, clean water. Ask your vet for more information like how to maintain the cleanliness of the water. Look at the below (approximate) chart of how much a horse requires water:
|Body Weight (Kg)||Minimum (Liters)||Average (Liters)||Maximum (Liters)|
Feed and water general guide
|Horse size||Forage/Roughage requirement (pasture, hay or chaff)||Water requirement||Supplementary feed|
(up to 13.5 hands, 200–350kg)
|3–7kg/day||Clean water must always be available – dams or self-filling troughs are the most appropriate.If your water supply is not self-filling it must be checked daily.25–45L in hot weather||Clean water must always be available – dams or self-filling troughs are the most appropriate.If your water supply is not self-filling it must be checked daily.25–45L in hot weather|
(13.5–15 hands, 350–500kg)
(15–16.5 hands, 500–650kg)
(16.5+ hands, 650+kg)
If you are raising horses near your house, you should arrange a sufficient place for the horses. Proper shelter gives the horse good health and stamina. This place protects horses from the extreme heats of the sun, the harshness of wind and drenching in the rain. Walk-in sheds, big trees can be good shelters.
Use a waterproof rug to keep the place warm in the winter season. Check if there’s any leakage that helps the rain to come inside the shelter. Maintain the cleanliness of the area by checking and cleaning them regularly.
Exercise or Space:
No animal can stay at the same, small place. They move their limbs frequently. And if I talk about the horse, you should think of ample space where the pet can walk or run freely. Tethering the horse is suitable for a short duration. But regular supervision and inspection are a must. Remember to use appropriate tethering instruments. Don’t tether the horses for such a long time.
Fencing or Paddocks:
Fencing is one of the essential parts of horse caring. It protects, gives shelter, helps to avoid injuries, prohibits horses from jumping or escaping. When you are only a horse owner in your area, it would be a significant problem if you lose your horse. May the horse go to the neighbor’s territory and damage their households.
To get rid of all these problems, you should be careful to set up good quality fences. There are fences available made of wood, bamboo, metal, etc. Choose the right one, which provides more durability, safety. Tools you use, such as wire, needles, rope, etc. should be the better one.
Have good repair to keep your horse out of injury. However, you don’t need to pay a lot to set up good fencing.
Let’s talk about horse health-related matters. It would help if you took care of the horse’s health.
General horse health care:
This part of the basic horse care list for beginners consists of different types of health care tips. Please read all of them to have healthy, live horses.
Meet the farrier to trim the hooves every 6-8 weeks. It helps the horses to prevent the hooves from chipping or growing long and irritating to the horses. You can only shoe the horses when you bring the horse to walk or run on a hard or rocky surface.
Horse eats the dry hays, and thus, there’s a chance to damage the teeth. Contact the horse dentist once or twice to check the horse teeth raised in your stable. When you don’t treat the teeth, they become sharp which leads to pain and oral injuries.
If your horse in at tender age (less than five years), feeding on grains, teeth treatment should be at least once every 3-6 months.
Different viruses, algae, fungi, low-quality feed causes the horse to feel pain in the stomach. Besides, worms appear in the stomach and intestines of your horse. The time of worming should be in every 6-8 weeks. If you are going to use any medicine, then check the dosage, side effect, and cautions of that item. Clean all the manure regularly to prevent worming. After all, a clean environment keeps the diseases away.
Horses require vaccinations too! Vaccinations prevent different diseases like tetanus, viral respiratory diseases, strangles, etc. The veterinarian who is good at horse treatment should immunize your horse. He will tell you when to vaccinate your horse. If there are repetitive vaccinations, he will suggest to you.
Too much fat makes horse numb, tough to move and brings many diseases. Again, too much thin horses can’t walk for a long time. You won’t be able to ride for a long way or compete a race having a fatty or more skeletal horse. Don’t allow your horse being so.
Check if the ribs are visible clearly. If so, you should provide good feed or change the food. Contact your veterinarian to have a suggestion of horse feeding. Provide ample water and food to your horse to keep your horse fit.
Laminitis is also known as founder. It creates extreme pain and can be severe in some cases. Check if your horse is unable to move or trying to stay at the same position when you are working him to move. Laminitis affected horses lie down frequently. You will feel warm when you touch the hoof wall and the coronary band.
Pony has more chances to build up laminitis. They get fat more than other types of horses. This can be painful to your horse having laminitis. Don’t wait to see if there’s any change. Immediately contact your horse vet to cure the laminitis.
Digestive tract or gut of horse can be affected with colic. This deadly disease takes hundreds of horses’ lives each year. Colic can be of different types. It can change any class of horses.
Colic is very painful to the horse. The range of the pain can be mild to a severe amount. The only way to prevent colic is to identify the symptoms first. Then immediately contact the doctor. If you see any of these, your horse has the colic:
· Excessive or irregular activities
· Rolling and pawing on the ground
· Laying down for a long time than the regular duration
· Sitting down and looking around the flanks
· Kicking own abdomen
· Trying to curl the lips frequently
· Irregular droppings
· Not eating properly or lack of appetite
· Silent or bloated gut
· Distress, sweating a lot
· Staying or hiding near the wall or in the corners
If your observation finds any of these, don’t try to waste time. Remove the hay and clean the area. Go to your vet and tell that you are suspecting that your horse has colic. Indeed, these are signs of colic. Vet will handle the matter soon.
There are diseases of horses that can make their life hell as we often get when we become sick. These are some common diseases of a horse:
· Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD)
· Equine Arthritis
· Equine Encephalomyelitis
· West Nile Virus
· Potomac Horse Fever
Stay connected to the animal doctor to prevent, cure the horse diseases.
General horse care guide
|Feet||· Meet the farrier and get your horse trimmed.· Should be done in every 6-8 weeks · Shoes for walking or running on a hard surface· Cost: $35-$100|
|Teeth||· Meet the horse dentist once or twice a year· Tender (less than five years age) horse should be checked every 3-6 months|
|Worming||· Worming horses stop the worm buildup inside the intestine and stomach· Do worming every 6-8 weeks.· Clear the manure in stable to prevent worm contamination|
|Vaccination||· Meet the vet for vaccination suggestions· The vet will suggest when to and how frequent to vaccinate your horses|
|Body condition||· Don’t leave the horse to be too much fatty or thin|
|Laminitis||· Puts unnecessary weight on the horses as they become extreme fat· Laminitis is a painful hoof condition· Can’t be treated perfectly· Call your vet if you see any symptom immediately|
Grooming and Hoof Care Products:
Wahl Professional Animal Equine Horse Grooming Brushes, Combs, Picks and Tools
It’s an allrounder solution for grooming and caring for the hoof of the horse. Wahl’s Horse Hoof Pick cleans the dirt and mud from the hoof smartly. The comfortable rubber grip provides enjoyable moments to care about the horse hoof. Your loving friend will love this.
The patented design of the product is very authentic and user-friendly. You can comfortably grip the tool. However, it fits in any standard size hand of the users.
· Professional hoof care
· Contains combs, brushes, picks, tools
· The all-in-one equipment to clean the hooves
· Rubber grip helps to grip the device well
· Brings enjoyable grooming experience to you and your horse
· The brushes contain synthetic bristles that are safe and firmly
· Recommended by many professionals
· Soft bristles may collapse faster
Skin Care Products:
RJ Matthews Orvus Horse Mane Tail Body Wash
RJ Matthews Orvus shampoo is suitable for any livestock. This wash paste comes in a thick form. You can wash the whole-body, including tail, mane, etc. It’s a recommended and favorite product, according to the users of Horse Journal.
Adding to these, you can apply this shampoo to wash fabrics, upholstery, and many more things.
· Horse shampoo
· Wash paste
· Supported by Horse Journal
· 7.5 lbs shampoo
· Excellent in washing the horse body
· Provides satisfaction while cleaning the mud and dirt
· Comes in paste form
· Easy to apply
· No notable faults are found
Farnam Vetrolin White n’ Brite Deep-Cleaning Shampoo
It is another horse skin care product that provides deep cleaning. Farnam shampoo helps to eliminate all the stubborn muds and dirt from the skin. The concentrated formula works from the deepest area.
If your horse has a light-colored coating, Farnam Vetrolin shampoo would be the best choice for you. Increased shining makes horse attractive than ever. It contains coconut oil derivatives. So, you are getting moisturizer and color brightener in the same package.
In the rainy season, there are many chances to spread mud all over the body of the horse. Similarly, warm seasons present the horse dirtier. This White n’ Brite shampoo removes stubborn yellow manure stains. You can wash up to 16 horses with the same pack of this shampoo.
· Color brightener
· Coconut oil extracts
· Spot remover
· Increases the brightness of mild colored coating of the horses
· Highlights the color coating and removes all the stubborn stains
· Moisturizes and increases absorption of shining agents
· One shampoo can be used on up to 16 horses
· Provides long-lasting shining
· May require more bottles of shampoo to have satisfactory cleaning
Mane ‘n Tail 3 Pc Kit Includes 32 Ounce Mane ‘n Tail Shampoo
Mane ‘n Tail Shampoo is quite different from the above shampoos. This skin care shampoo is suitable for both humans and pets. This is amazing in cleaning and brightening the color of the horses.
This effective shampoo comes with high lathering cleansing agents including moisturizing and emollients formula. When you apply this product on your horse, they will look stunning, playful. The micro-enriched protein formulated shampoo performs as cleaner and conditioner.
The hair will become soft and bright. The outcome of this shampoo will blow your mind. The mane and tail can be tangles and knots free while preventing the breakage. You can manage the manes and tails with the friction-free slip as you can glide your fingers easily.
· Shampoo for humans and pets
· Contains high lathering cleansing agents
· Brightener with a conditioning formula
· Detangler for horses
· 32 oz
· Cleans dirty elements from the mane and tail
· Makes hair soft, shiny and long-lasting
· Prevents breakage of tangled hair
· Works as an active conditioner
· Friction-free slip helps to use easily
· Safe and sound for all hair types
· Contains high SLS contents
Hair-use Shampoo Products
Herbal-Gro Shampoo 27.05oz & Conditioner 27.05oz
Herbal-Gro is an excellent hair-use shampoo and conditioner. It works gently on the hair of the horse. No dirt or mud will be visible anymore. It works from the root and leaves shiny, silky, and healthy hair.
The conditioner brings back the lost beauty of the horsehair. Herbal-Gro is a combination of moisturizer and conditioner. The micro-enriched formula stops fall or breakage of tangled hair, frizz and split ends. However, this product is safe for all hair types.
· Shampoo and conditioner
· Micro-enriched protein formula
· Prevents hair breakage
· 27.05 oz shampoo and 27.05 oz conditioner
· Makes horse hair stronger, shiny, soft and silky
· Helps to avoid any hair loss or damage
· Increases brightness of light-colored skin
· Provides long-lasting result
· Safe of all hair types (relaxed, permed, color, chemically treated)
· It smells like salt hair
Weaver Leather Rubber Bands
Don’t you like to see the different looks of your horse? Weaver leather rubber bands are to stylize your horse braids. These small bands are suitable for braiding horsehair. It can be an essential part of grooming your friendly animal.
You can use these rubber bands to braid the horse manes and tails. It’s a perfect match for dark brown hair and tail.
· Small rubber bands
· Manufactured for mane and tail braiding purpose
· 500 rubber bands in one bag
· Stylize horsehair and present him in a new way
· Prevents hair from becoming dirty and messy
· Usable to mane and tail
· Perfect match for dark brown hair
· Can be a promising tool for horse caring
· Should not be worn for a long time; can break the tangled hair
**More Horse Care Instructions
Horses are quite similar to the birds you pet. They love to live in groups. As they are herd animals, they will require their partners from the same paddock or your neighbors’ paddock. Leaving your horse alone at the stable may bring different behavioral issues such as movement, activities, etc. If you wish to see your horse cheering for you, bring more horses and keep them with the remaining one.
As you are the owner of such beautiful animals, you should always keep in mind to maintain the beauty of them. Spend a few minutes every day to check if there is plenty of feed and water. Check the horses whether they are fully fit or having any injury or sickness. Call the vet or farrier to take care of the sick horse. Regular health checking keeps the horse under control.
It’s not pretty easy to manage the stallions. They are also unfitted to keep as the company of other horses. Keep all the colts and stallions gelded till you want to see the new baby horse (pony or foal). Geldings and mares are better options as the company of the horses.
Don’t let your horses alone without any care, love, health checkup. If they are not in use, you should handover them to other persons. You can sell them to get some money. You can also have them “put down” with the help of your vet or knacker. Don’t neglect the horse. Instead, dispose of him.
You can sell your horse online and offline in both ways. Get a suggestion from your local buyers through your friend. You can also arrange public auction to sell them.
Join any pony club or any organization that provides regular horse-riding lessons. These lessons help to learn how to ride on a horse properly. You will love to do so to enjoy the time for the horses.
You also hire professional training services to start from the beginning of riding the pony. Connection with other horse riders or owners can also be positive for riding and caring for your horse.
One more thing, you should always be careful what equipment you are using to ride on a horse. Ensure the quality of the material to prevent any injury and provide safety to the horse. You will find may quality horse-riding tools such as saddle online.
Horse breeding is equally important as all these above horse caring methods. The breeding horse takes enough time and needs individual facilities. You can complete this job with the help of experienced people. Please don’t take any risk by doing it on your own.
So, you are at the end of this long story! What you get from the article will surely help you in the journey of horse care. If I sum up the whole content, these are the key things you should always remember-
· It’s not hard to take care of your horse. You will need a minimum amount of money, time, and regular maintenance.
· Use horse care products such as supplements, feed, etc. which are made for horses with quality ingredients.
· Get training from the professionals on how to care or ride on the horses. Contact experienced vet and farrier to support you.
· Arrange and provide the best environment for the horses. They are not only animals but also friends too, even when you are sad or happy.
· Don’t neglect to care for the horses regularly. It will make them suffer in the long run.